Friday, June 09, 2006

Believe it or not?

Written on 25th August 2005


Last Sunday, Nael turned to 27 mths and he showed something that was really amazing to us his parents at least.

Currently, Nael is being taken care by my mother in law. He used to go to a day care center but we pulled him out due to his continuous virus infections. I think he was there for about 14 mths and during that period, he was hospitalized twice, he won battles with Acute Bronchiolitis, Roseola, HSV6, mild meassles, mild Foot and Mouth disease . He sufferred and we sufferred but the experiences, nevertheless has added more color to our lives. Once he was taken out from his day care center, he is healthy, alhamdullillah.

Not in school means that he's getting a less proper education, kinda distorted as in learning his alpabets and numbers, colors and shapes, socializing with his peers and bigger kids. Staying at home, his only source of entertainment cum education is his TV, his toys and reading books with Ummi. He loves his Sesame Characters, his Mr Incredible and now he's into Hi 5, my god, he has tonnes of VCDs and DVDs

At 24 mths, he could count 1- 10 with an odd sound of 7, nevertheless he began counting every single thing he touches (ie: building blocks/crayons). Last Sunday, he took his Sesame Street ABC and 123 book, he flipped the pages fast and said nearly all the A-Z characters loud and clear, at random! , we were estatic. We couldn't believe it as everytime I tried teaching him from the same book, he just kept mum and flipped the pages, uninterested. But you know what, he learned all the alphabets from his Elmo: Alphabet Jungle VCD. I tested him again but with a set flashcard, yep, yep, he knows his alphabets. Oh yeah, my MIL too said he knows Jawi characters too but I could not gauge how far he knows his Jawi, hv not tested him yet and again, he learned it from VCD Kumpulan Aliff. Well I guess he learnt a lot from his TV and who said watching tv is a waste of time?? tee hee hee...




So, my next project with Nael will be teaching him to read. Famygirl proposed that I should teach Malay follow by English. I saw in Star paper about Phonics reading, Oxford Essential Reading series but have yet to check on them. Can you, $user recommend me for Malay books?


kusyuk nengok tv & lenguhlah dok cam nie



my little darling

No comments: