Monday, April 06, 2009

Working mothers and kids performance in school

Each time school going kids' mommies in this blogsphere write about their kids performance in school, it sure did send chills down my spine. They are our beloved vogue mommies Gart, OO, Butterflutter and Famy..Elisa and Lollis tak kira coz theirs are in International schools in foreign land :) It's mind boggling as I can't keep these questions at ease, will my kids suffer in their exams? will he do great in his studies? will he behave in school? will he be cornered by some school bullies? but mainly is about academic.

I know I have another 8 more months moonlighting..spare me...being kiasu paranoid parent, I can't help myself from worrying as I also have a live in examples from my nephew and nieces. Btw, fyi...Zan's clan has been camping in our parents' house for the last 4 months. So, I get to witness how daily my mother will talk about her cucus' doings in school and how I see the limited time my sister try to squeeze in teaching her daughter, revisions, homework for Sek Agama & Sek Kebangsaan in between her take home work, makan and other stuff. Fyi, my brothers' kids are sent to my parents house to makan, do homework, study and tuition. Therefore, I also get the 1st hand report on these kids studies.

Somehow, I envy and actually happy that my nieces and nephews are well taken care off. From what I gather from my mak, Year 1 & 2 are still ok, wait till you see their Math and Science in Year 3. My mak also been reporting to me on the Pemahaman & penulisan and how this one doing good as she loves reading, therefore, she has creative ideas on her writing skills..then comes to Math for Year 5, my mak will report to me.."yg nie suka buat careles mistakes laa" "yg nie tak paham soalan" "yg nie tak reti nak fikirlah" naik pening dan gerun jugaklah dengar :P

So, to sum up, to prepare myself for next year, I have sacrifice my TV time, more on focusing Nael's homework, reading to him, reading with him, doing Year 1 Math work book, do some English & BM workbooks. Bottom line is spend more time with him..sometimes, I just so envy SAHM :(

Posting nie takde purpose sebenarnya..semata2 nak mengupdate jer!!

14 comments:

butterflutter said...

More of putting down whats in your mind kan...
You'll be fine insyaAllah but I know that won't makes you feel better. Next yr after a while you'll find your tune and feel more relax. That's what I experience after 2 1/4 yrs ni.

I have some thoughts wait for my entry lah.

Nadia said...

sekapal la kita.. dunno what to expect kan? but i think it should be OK when the times come.

zan said...

BF : ya ya ya *nod nod* tapikan, bila my sis ter merungut, i pun macam terasa tempiasnya hehehe..

Mama : yep yep...i hope so too!! samalah kita kan next year..jeng jeng jeng...

Joe.Jaffar said...

usually, these things only happens to mommies. bapak2? janji anak belajar and tak kena sebat dengan principal huhu

mosh said...

aik? kat dalam blog pun nak membebel? eheheh. jangan mare. your blog so tulih la whatever you like.

it's my first year experience as a not so-vogue father of a schoolgoing kid. if her results were a direct measure, i failed miserably because definitely below her true potential. but i'm not disheartened. banyak silly mistakes je tu haish!

but sometimes i don't quite get what the syllabus were trying to teach. just like in one of those exercises in her book, it was putting up photos of things that should go in the living room, kitchen, bedroom etc. and those things includes generic stuff like wall clock and tv. so how la?

zan said...

Joe :- ala bapak2 tau apa? asyik tengok tv jeee... :P

Mosh :- eh eh betullah..i get to see that kind of questions jugak! plus i ada baca some very confusing math questions yg i pun kena baca 10 kali to understand, what more budak darjah 5 ... grrr...

IKHWANI said...

haiyo..am still nervous waiting for my kids exam result ..your mother is absolutely right, I thought I'll be immuned as this is the 5th year of my eldest in her formal school..ummi sedih tengok result anak2...sometimes you just have to accept the way they are (BUT with one condition, you dah usaha giving your level best to help them get thru with their studies), NOT ALL KIDS are straight A students and I never believe in this pun, cuma make sure the percentage of their marks increased each time..walau tak banyak..now I am a teacher, I cuba balance kan, KBSM syllabus dengan pemahaman konsep. Syllabus, mahu atau tidak kita kena ikut cuma cara penyampaian kenalah kreatif..and it's not easy because each kid has their own mind.

Well, there's so much more to discuss when it comes to education kan??

for you, it's a good start to introduce nael:

1. Al-Quran - a must!
2. Reading - Rumi dan Jawi
3. Writing - Rumi dan Jawi
4. Language
5. Basic calculation
6. Teach him how to hold a pencil - cara yang betul.
7. Handwriting exercise.

kalau nak ikutkan memang tak ada masa langsung nak tengok tv, but then all works and no play even makes ummi a bad, bad, bad ummi! geddit? :p

Take care and good luck!

zan said...

OO - sungguh terujanya saya baca OO's remark..coming from a teacher :) thank you thank you thank you. I love it when you write about kids education, the IQ and EQ in your blog, i just read it only lah and not commenting coz anak belum sekolah lagi :) Points noted!!

Lazydaisy said...

hi sis zan,
lamanya u tak update
well for me starting this year memang officially no tv whatsoever for mommy...mon-fri is go-through revision book-session with danial...we have this "star rewarding chart" to motivate him alhamdullilah so far so good :)
still long way to go, i pun nak kena fine tune my schedule lagi what more with 3 more askars tagging behind :P

what i can share is make sure they know the concept, lepas tu pusing terbalik question mcm mana pun senang nak paham, parents should have good repo with teachers senang apa-apa hal nak dapat feedback from them. teachers will pay extra attention to ingat anak kita to extra-concern parents

famyGirl said...

hmmm... i think yang important is follow up. but this year, agak challenging sikit for me, sebab homework dia banyak betul! nak buat revision ke, suka-suka belajar ke, pun takde masa. last year was okay; this year i still tgh figure out the best way to approach this 'issue'.

i have to admit though, nowadays syllabus memang tough. i don't remember having to learn so much masa i std 1-3.

IKHWANI said...

Nisa's POV tu betul sangat - on having good rapport with our kids' teachers..

make sure tau nama cikgu kelas anak, contact numbers, usahakan jumpa face to face masa register tu, show the teachers this is my beloved child..buat follow up then the teacher will remember that parents anak ni just not dumping their kid and semua serah kat cikgu!

Unknown said...

you'll be ok, babe. trust me

i selalu tak rasa tak cukup 24 jam sehari. more than half of the day dah confirm kat opis. i'm hoping to be a SAHM too, so can spend more time with the kids.. amin!

zan said...

Lana : saya pun nak nak nak ... Amin jugak :)

OO : tapikan ada jugak i dengar cikgu kelas tak nak bagi hp no, takut kena kacau kot

Famy : ahh saya jeles betul dgn awak, harap2 saya boleh meninggalkan kerusi ini tak lama lagi uhuk huk huk...

LD : isshh dia pun dah lama tak hupdate.. :) challenging jugakkan nak tgk Danial at the same time, dgn 3 yg kecik2 nak mummy's attention, challenging betul!

Lollies said...

Waaahh nervousnya saya. When we go back home, the kids would have to put up a lot!

Tapi kan I see so many working mothers (who put effort in their kids' study), anak-anak dia orang bagus-bagus belaka. So sometimes I think tak ada beza pun workig or not. Sebab bila not working, we are expected to do more things. Unless of course you SAHM and ada helper. That one ok. :D

And if most people has ambitions to jadi SAHM, make sure also the time spent for/ on/ to the kids and yourself are useful. There should not be relaxing time. Except blogging though. Ahaks!